Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Mixed Spice

When Jon and I went to Great Britain in 1986, I picked up a jar of Mixed Spice at a store in London. I quickly fell in love with the spice and used it in a lot of different dishes and desserts. I still have the empty jar, and occasionally would get a packet of Mixed Spice from a friend or relative who'd gone overseas. Thanks to the Internet, I can now make my own. I went to Savory Spice Shop today for fresh mace, which was all I needed to make the spice from what was already in my cupboard.

Here is the recipe. Enjoy!


Ingredients

  • Here is a typical blend of spices used to make mixed spice:
  • 1 Tbs ground allspice
  • 1 Tbs ground cinnamon
  • 1 Tbs ground nutmeg
  • 2 tsp ground mace
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tsp ground Ginger
  • Blend all spices together, and store in a sealed jar away from light.

No comments:

Post a Comment